48 Doughty Street
On March 25, 1837, Charles Dickens moved into 48 Doughty Street, London, on which he had a three year lease at £80 a year.
"It was a pleasant twelve-room dwelling of pink brick, with three stories and an attic, a white arched entrance door on the street level, and a small private garden in the rear. It was located just north of Gray's Inn ... a genteel private street with a lodge at each end and gates that were closed at night by a porter in a gold-laced hat and a mulberry-colored coat with the Doughty arms on its buttons."
Dickens brought with him not only his wife Catherine, but also her 17 year old sister Mary, who moved with them from Furnival's Inn. A new addition to the household was Dickens younger brother Frederick.
It was a happy time for all who lived there, but the happiness was short lived. In six weeks a tragedy befell the home, a tragedy that Charles Dickens would carry with him the rest of his life.
48 Doughty Street is the address of The Dickens House Museum.